Responsible Reopening Update for October 28, 2020
October 28, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
As you are aware, the safety of our students, staff, and community is the number one priority of the Springfield City School District. With that in mind, I write to provide an update on Clark County’s Public Health Advisory Alert System status.
On Tuesday, October 27, I participated in a meeting with all Clark County Superintendents and Health Commissioner Charles Patterson regarding the potential for Clark County to shift to Level Four Purple on the Ohio Health Advisory System. In addition to the aforementioned meeting, I, along with the county's health, government, and business leaders participated in a Zoom meeting that same afternoon with Governor DeWine, his team, and the Ohio Department of Health.
The direction and guidance from the Clark County Combined Health District (CCCHD) is as follows:
- In the event that the county moves to Level Four Purple, schools will continue to operate normally until such a time that the CCCHD confirms additional spread of positive COVID-19 cases in school buildings and across the District.
- It is important to note that schools have experienced little spread during the school day at this time.
- The CCCHD fully supports the schools and the efforts that we take to ensure the safety of students and staff. The CCCHD fully believes that our students and staff are safer in school from a learning, physical health, and mental health standpoint, than if students were removed from the physical classroom setting.
- In the event that the CCCHD confirms the spread of positive COVID-19 cases in school buildings and across the District, the District will move to the next level of operation found in the Responsible Reopening Plan, as directed by the Health Commissioner.
- For example, if there is a confirmed spread of positive COVID-19 cases in school buildings and across the District, the CCCHD will direct SCSD to move to a hybrid or virtual model, at our discretion.
- Additional written guidance from the CCCHD is forthcoming.
As a reminder, the updated active working draft of the SCSD Responsible Reopening Plan can be accessed here for your reference and I encourage you to frequently visit our Responsible Reopening page here for updates.
I personally thank you for every precaution that you take to help keep our community safe and I encourage you to continue to avoid large group gatherings and to follow the COVID-19 guidance provided by the Clark County Combined Health District, the Ohio Department of Health, and the Center for Disease Control. As a community, we can help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and ensure that our students continue to receive a world-class learning experience.
Robert F. Hill, Ed.D.