Responsible Reopening Update for July 17, 2020
July 17, 2020
Dear SCSD Parents and Guardians,
It is my pleasure to provide this week’s Parent/Guardian update as we continue to navigate our way to a successful and safe opening on August 26! Our Responsible Reopening Plan continues to be a “working document.” Please read updates in entirety to be informed of important information.
As communicated last week, the SCSD will begin the 2020-21 school year by providing families with two flexible options:
- 100% in-school learning with social distancing and safety protocols.
- 100% remote learning through enrollment in Google Classroom with SCSD teachers and/or OnCourse/Springfield 24/7, the District’s enhanced online education option during the COVID-19 Responsible Reopening.
OnCourse provides an innovative learning experience to help your child build a strong foundation for a lifetime of achievement. We are partnering with Pearson Online & Blended Learning, the world’s learning company, to provide our students with:
- Award-winning and proven curriculum designed for college and career readiness and student success
- NCAA-approved courses for high school athletes
- Highly qualified state-certified teachers trained in online instruction
- Current education technology tools
- Opportunities for socialization and community engagement
- FAMILY 411 resource center to support families and ensure virtual school success
While we recognize that families are more familiar with Google Classroom given the circumstances for learning this past spring, we know that many may not be familiar with the OnCourse, Pearson Online & Blended Learning platform. Therefore, in an effort to better inform our parents about the remote learning option through enrollment in OnCourse, Pearson Online & Blended Learning, we invite you to attend an online information session on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, at 7:00 PM.
Due to the use of the virtual Zoom platform for the meeting, families interested in attending the session must register here by 12:00 PM on Wednesday, July 22, 2020.
In order for the District to appropriately staff both learning options, by July 31, families are asked to commit to students returning to the school building or enrolling in the District’s online programming for the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year. For families interested in the online virtual option for learning, please complete the opt-in form by selecting the following link. Families that are returning to their assigned school building do not need to do anything further at this time.
Top 10 Things to Know:
- The learning options presented above are based on the current Clark County alert level, per the Office of the Governor. In the event that the alert level changes, the District will consider making adjustments based on guidance received from the Clark County Combined Health Department (CCCHD) and the Ohio Department of Health (ODH).
- The District will work to continue offering a full array of extracurricular and athletic activities. Students who choose the remote learning option will be permitted to participate in extracurricular activities. SCSD will follow CCCHD and Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) guidelines for practice, competitions, and safety requirements.
- For parents of students with significant disabilities, the District understands that students in special populations require specialized support and additional communication will be forthcoming.
- The District will offer meals to students attending school in person each day. Details are being finalized about the location where students will eat lunch and what recess will look like.
- It is our goal to minimize unnecessary movement of students within buildings as much as possible. Building principals will develop a plan for pickup/dropoff, building entry, and transitions throughout the school day to ensure the least amount of potential contact in hallways and to allow for social distancing.
- District take-home devices will be available for all students (K-12). Instructions for device pickup for students participating in Distance Learning will be available prior to the first day of school. SCSD intends to offer Tech Training videos to support families with at-home and remote learning.
- Grading and learning expectations will match those of a traditional school model. Learning will be tracked using the traditional grading system.
- District attendance will be tracked and enforced for both in-person and remote learning in accordance with Ohio Law and District Policy.
- The SCSD Board of Education approved the detailed Responsible Reopening Plan on Wednesday, July 15. The plan can be accessed via our website here.
- The SCSD Board of Education approved a revised District School Calendar. The revised school calendar can be accessed here.
Parent Updates & Other Important Information
Please continue to visit the SCSD website at www.scsdoh.org for updates.
Today’s video update highlights the information found in the parent update.
Thank you for your support and know that I am so proud to be YOUR superintendent!
Robert F. Hill, Ed.D.